Skip to main content

Kitchen!

When picking out the cabinets for the kitchen, I originally had my heard set on  white cabinets with a dark counter top.  A very classic look that always looks nice.  Every picture I see it looks nice.  BUT, we didn't go that route.  When meeting with the kitchen designer and seeing the white cabinet we could choose from (the one that would be included) we weren't crazy about it. Then I thought about all of the tomato sauce I make and realized that a white kitchen would not last very long with me.

I was flipping through one of the booklets and started picturing a kitchen that was reminicent of a Colorado mountain cabin in Telluride.  Warm, cozy, woodsy.  We have such a beautiful property with trees and the stream, I wanted to flow with the natural surroundings.  Can you picture it?  Bring your ugg boots and a pair of mittens.  We can sit on our deck and drink coffee in the morning and read a book.  If you're careful, you might see a deer run past (or at least a chipmunk or Piper, our dog).  That vision is the one that is now helping me decorate the house.  I want a home that has clean lines, a mixture of textures (leather, suede, velvet, wood, carpet, metal) that has earth tones and warmth.

 After weeks of deliberating and 2 trips to Lowes,

we finally ordered the kitchen cabinets.

(pic from kraftmaid.com)


We're going with Kraftmaid Maple in Praline and the island will be Cherry Peppercorn.  Why two colors?  Well, besides that it's the "latest" trend in kitchens, we thought it would highlight the island, which is usually a central gathering place when people come over.  It makes the island stand out, and it also breaks up the color in the room.  If you see in the picture above, the island blends in with the cabinets.  The peppercorn will add some (natural) color.













The walls will be stone house (see previous colors)

I am thinking about doing a slate color backsplash that I found at home depot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the home stretch

The home is almost done.  There are a few minor things that need to be done, and I  decided I want to paint upstairs, well not me, but I want the upstairs painted.  I certainly can't do it as well as the painter can. He is amazing. He doesn't use tape or anything, just a steady hand.  It is inspiring.    '

Basement Progress

Here are the basement items Basment progression: Color Scheme:   Riser for seats: Wall Fixtures: Mini Sconces for over the bar.

Appliances.... @ PC Richards

We researched thoroughly which appliances to get.... Consumer reports, looking online, going to stores.  I pretty much had decided on which ones ahead of time, but wanted to give them a once over before we bought.  Thank goodness I did.  The dishwasher I had picked out had the silverware tray on the door. (Egad!  The horror!)  Luckily, we saw that in time and were able to pick out another one.  (big sigh of relief)  One of these days I'm going to save my nickels and buy one of those double dishwashers.  So efficient, convenient and as cool as a dishwasher can get.  I am very excited for my new stove.  It is gas, BUT, the cooktop is ceramic glass!  GE Profile (PGS968SEPSS) You just wipe it down!!! How many of you are excited?!  (and reading this....) We also got a matching microwave.   See how the curve of the glass matches the stove? Fridge is a Whirlpool Gold (GX5FHTXV) with an interior water dispenser and an...